Sirtuins (SIRTs) sure seem to getting around. These energetic class III HDAC enzymes have their fingerprints on everything from Alzheimer’s to Inflammation, generating enough spotlight (and even a little controversy) to make even Kanye West a feel little jealous.
Promega’s new SIRT-Glo™ Assays and Screening Systems are the latest tool to help researchers study the ins-and-outs of SIRT activity, enabling SIRT enzyme profiling as well as characterization of SIRT inhibitors or activators. The assays deploy an acetylated, luminogenic peptide substrate, which is then deacetylated when SIRTs are present. That reaction in turn releases aminoluciferin, which is measured by Ultra-Glo™ recombinant firefly luciferase.
SIRT-Glo™ raises the bar for sirtuin assays. Hint: it’s the blue one.
Sirtuin Assays That’ll Have You Beaming
SIRT-Glo™ Assays come complete with all the controls you’ll need to ensure that your results are rock-solid including: A positive control inhibitor (Nicotinamide), HeLa Nuclear Extract, and SIRT-Glo™ Control Substrate.
The SIRT-Glo™ Assay works for nearly all NAD+-dependent Sirtuin enzymes, But, what are the other features and benefits of SIRT-Glo™ assays? So glad you asked. Take a look:
- Simple- The protocol is essentially Add, Mix and Measure. Even your boss who’s all thumbs can pull that off.
- Sensitive- SIRT-Glo™ is 10-100 fold more sensitive than other fluorescent substrate assays.
- Fast –The glow-type, steady-state signal complete and ready to read in 15-45 minutes, so data will be on the way in no time.
- Automatable- The 3+ hour luminescence half-life let’s you scale up to 96- or 1536-well plate formats for a “set it, and forget it”, batch processing approach. Just don’t waste all of that extra time on your Twitter feed.
- Multiplex Compatible- Pair SIRT-Glo™ with a viability assay to squeeze even more data from a single experiment.
You can find the SIRT-Glo™ Assays and Screening Systems at the Promega website.